The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to replace an ex-officio member of an Executive Board

Guest Anonymous Guest

Guest Anonymous Guest

I am the secretary on the executive board of a school group.  We have an Alumni Representative that is considered an ex-officio member and has been in this position for 5 years.  This member's single duty as defined in the bylaws of our group is to assist the Board in maintaining a working relationship with Alumni Parents.  However, this member is not performing this duty very well.   Our bylaws do not indicate how the Alumni Representative is installed into the position (neither election nor appointment are mentioned),  and no term limit is given in the bylaws for the position.  Another person would like to become the Alumni Representative on our board for the next school year, but we cannot determine the process that should be followed.  Is there any guidance on this within RRONR?    

2 minutes ago, Guest Anonymous Guest said:

I am the secretary on the executive board of a school group.  We have an Alumni Representative that is considered an ex-officio member and has been in this position for 5 years.  This member's single duty as defined in the bylaws of our group is to assist the Board in maintaining a working relationship with Alumni Parents.  However, this member is not performing this duty very well.   Our bylaws do not indicate how the Alumni Representative is installed into the position (neither election nor appointment are mentioned),  and no term limit is given in the bylaws for the position.  Another person would like to become the Alumni Representative on our board for the next school year, but we cannot determine the process that should be followed.  Is there any guidance on this within RRONR?    

Ex-officio members are neither elected nor appointed directly.  They are members by virtue of an office they hold, possibly one assigned by some outside entity.  It seems likely to me that this Alumni Representative is selected by the Alumni Parents association, and it is they who would have to replace him.  Your group could presumably request that the Alumni Rep be replaced, but the final decision may be out of your hands.

If this is true (and someone in that group should know) then whoever aspires to that position, presuming he is a member of the Alumni Parents, should take up the question in that group.

While this answer is based on the information in your question, I don't know what your bylaws say, nor what the bylaws of the Alumni Parents say, if anything.  So consider it my best guess.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.