The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Revising Meeting Minutes

LER

A motion to table was voted on and received an 8-6 approval, but a board member announced he would like to change his vote, making it a 7-7 vote which defeated the motion to table.  The minutes only reflect the 7-7 vote.  (The motion in question ended up unanimously passing.)  At the following month’s meeting, the board member who initially sponsored the table motion wants the minutes to reflect the 8-6 vote, the member changing his vote, and the concluding 7-7 vote.  I don’t see the point of including all this information.  The final vote was 7-7, and the motion was defeated.   Is all the detail leading up to the final vote necessary?  Appropriate?  

47 minutes ago, LER said:

A motion to table was voted on and received an 8-6 approval, but a board member announced he would like to change his vote, making it a 7-7 vote which defeated the motion to table.

43 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

A motion to lay on the table is a subsidiary motion When a subsidiary motion fails, it should not be included at all. If it carries, it is included only if necessary to completeness or clarity. 

I agree, but I think the original poster was most likely referring to a motion to postpone rather than a motion to lay on the table, even though he called it a motion “to table“.  They are both subsidiary motions, however, and should be treated the same way in the minutes.

Thank you both.  Your responses are VERY helpful.  Yes, the motion was to postpone to the following month (although the term “table” was used).  But if I am interpreting correctly what you’ve both said:  Since the motion was not on the agenda, it is considered a “subsidiary” motion and since it failed, there should be NO mention of the motion in the minutes period.  Is that correct?

9 minutes ago, LER said:

Since the motion was not on the agenda, it is considered a “subsidiary” motion and since it failed, there should be NO mention of the motion in the minutes period.  Is that correct?

Not exactly. It is a subsidiary motion because, as RONR says, it "assists the assembly in treating or disposing of a main motion (and sometimes other motions)." That's a characteristic of the motion and unconnected to anything having to do with agendas. And as a consequence, it does not go in the minutes.

Main motions - proposals that the assembly take some action - go in the minutes. Other motions typically do not, unless they passed and you need to include them to explain how something happened. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.