The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to structure voting on nested conditional motions?

Alexander George

It sounds as though all the motions on the subject are mutually exclusive to each other.

Perhaps a printed listing can be supplied to the voters detailing the text of all the motions and a ballot indicating "Select only one motion for adoption:..." or

If the voting is oral, the presiding officer would read all the motions, A, B, C, D, etc., and then put the question "All in favor of motion A, please stand and remain standing until counted ... please be seated." repeating this pattern until one motion receives a majority vote, at which time that motion is the one that is adopted and any remaining motions are ignored.

1 hour ago, Alexander George said:

Hello.  My organization is faced with motions of the form: Either A or not-A; if A, then B or C; if not-A, then D or E; etc.  I hope you understand.  Could someone advise me about the best way to structure, within RRoO, such a series of motions?  Thanks so much.

Here is one possibility.

Move to adopt A. Discuss and take the vote on A.

If A gets adopted, move to adopt B. While B is pending, move to substitute C for B. Discuss the relative merits of C vs B and take the vote on making the substitution. Then vote on the main motion (which will be either B or C).

If A gets rejected, move to adopt D. While D is pending, move to substitute E for D. Discuss the relative merits of E vs D and take the vote on making the substitution. Then vote on the main motion (which will be either D or E).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.