The Official RONR Q & A Forums

notice of special board meeting

Guest tomandlynnosborne@yahoo.co

2 hours ago, Guest tomandlynnosborne@yahoo.co said:

Does email qualify as written notice of special board meeting?

2 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Yes, it does if it is sent to a member who has agreed to receive notice by email.  RONR, 12th ed., 9:5

While I agree with the answer by the esteemed Mr. Honemann, I am going to go a step further and say that notice by email will also qualify as official notice if the bylaws (or perhaps a special rule of order) specifically provide that notices may be sent via email.

I would think that would apply  regardless of whether a  particular member has specifically consented to receiving notices via email, especially if it is a provision in the bylaws. It seems to me that a special rule of order, and especially a bylaw provision, can override the provision in 9:5 (b) of the 12th edition of RONR regarding email notices  

I’m anxious to see what others have to say about that last point, as I see how an argument can be made that if a member does not have email it might be impossible to give him notice if the bylaws say that notice may or shall be given by email without providing any other alternative methods.

7 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

I’m anxious to see what others have to say about that last point, as I see how an argument can be made that if a member does not have email it might be impossible to give him notice if the bylaws say that notice may or shall be given by email without providing any other alternative methods.

If the bylaws say no one gets notice of anything, that would be fine. This is a lesser imposition, so I agree with you.

2 hours ago, Guest tomandlynnosborne@yahoo.co said:

Does email qualify as written notice of special board meeting?

For the benefit of the original poster, this is what RONR says about notice in section 9:5 of the new 12th edition:

9:5 When notice is required to be sent, unless a different standard is specified that requirement is met if written notice is sent to each member either: a) by postal mail to the member’s last known address; or b) by a form of electronic communication, such as e-mail or fax, by which the member has agreed to receive notice.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.