The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Unfinished business

Gary Leach

Regarding the 12th Edition, Unfinished Business and General Orders, 41:23 and 41:26, I'm confused.

41:23 tells us, “The heading…includes items of business in the four categories that are listed below…” Those categories are a), b), c), & d). Subparagraph b) has a phrase at the end, “…as indicated under (a) and (c).”, the meaning of which I am at a loss to comprehend.

Then, 41:26 tells us “…a subject may not be taken up under…unless it has acquired such status by one of the formal processes (a), (c), or (d) listed in 41:23.” The omission of (b) appears to be a contradiction of the opening sentence of 41:23. I suspect it has something to do with the phrase I don’t understand in 41:23 b), but after much thought, frustration, and research, (Robert’s Rules for Dummies. AIP Standard Code, Demeter, and this Q&A forum) I still don’t get it! What am I missing, please? Thanks in advance!

14 minutes ago, Gary Leach said:

41:23 tells us, “The heading…includes items of business in the four categories that are listed below…” Those categories are a), b), c), & d). Subparagraph b) has a phrase at the end, “…as indicated under (a) and (c).”, the meaning of which I am at a loss to comprehend.

"Any questions that were unfinished business at the previous meeting . . . taken up in the order in which they were due to come up at that meeting as indicated under (a) and (c)."  Nothing first makes its appearance, so to speak, as unfinished business under (b).  At the previous meeting, it was there because of (a) or (c).  (It was not there under (d) because, if it were, it came up automatically at that meeting and thus would not be unfinished business now.) So to determine how to order such items, we look to the order in which they appeared previously, i.e. the order given in (a) and (c).

18 minutes ago, Gary Leach said:

Then, 41:26 tells us “…a subject may not be taken up under…unless it has acquired such status by one of the formal processes (a), (c), or (d) listed in 41:23.” The omission of (b) appears to be a contradiction of the opening sentence of 41:23. I suspect it has something to do with the phrase I don’t understand in 41:23 b), but after much thought, frustration, and research, (Robert’s Rules for Dummies. AIP Standard Code, Demeter, and this Q&A forum) I still don’t get it! What am I missing, please? Thanks in advance!

If an item takes on the character of unfinished business per (b), it was already unfinished business at a previous meeting. How did it get there? Not by (b).  So (b) can't make something unfinished business that was not already in that category.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.