The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Capping a membership

Guest JoeP

I belong to a club that operates using only a set of bylaws.  We have clear sections for membership, dues and expulsion.

My basic question is:  If the club I belonged to wanted to "limit or cap" membership to a specific number of people, would it be required to be within the clubs by-laws?

21 minutes ago, Guest JoeP said:

I belong to a club that operates using only a set of bylaws.  We have clear sections for membership, dues and expulsion.

My basic question is:  If the club I belonged to wanted to "limit or cap" membership to a specific number of people, would it be required to be within the clubs by-laws?

Yes.

Is there anything with Roberts Rules or Parliamentary Procedure that says it is has to be?  The reason I ask is that our club does not have a written set of rules, we just have bylaws.  And the BOD is attempting to say it would be a "rules" change.

Is there anything with Roberts Rules or Parliamentary Procedure that says it is has to be? 

See RONR (12th ed.) 56:19. The membership article in the bylaws should contain "any limitation on their number" (i.e., a cap on the number of members. Of course, if you haven't adopted RONR (which seems to be the case), that provision is not necessarily binding; but it's certainly persuasive.

The reason I ask is that our club does not have a written set of rules, we just have bylaws.  And the BOD is attempting to say it would be a "rules" change.

Bylaws are rules (specifically, the organization's "own basic rules relating principally to itself as an organization," RONR 2:8), so it is "a 'rules' change." But if the board is trying to say that it doesn't require a bylaws amendment because it is some other sort of rule (such as a standing rule), they are wrong. (I suppose a membership cap could be placed in a standing rule, but only if the bylaws provide that it may be placed in the standing rules.)

Edited by Weldon Merritt
Edited to correct a typo.

2 hours ago, Guest JoeP said:

Is there anything with Roberts Rules or Parliamentary Procedure that says it is has to be?  The reason I ask is that our club does not have a written set of rules, we just have bylaws.  And the BOD is attempting to say it would be a "rules" change.

I concur with Mr. Merritt and would add that lower-level rules may not conflict with the bylaws. If the bylaws contain a procedure for admitting members, then I am inclined to think that a rule which provides a limitation on the number of members would conflict with those rules.

7 hours ago, Guest JoeP said:

The BOD is incorrect.  It would be a bylaws change.  And the bylaws are rules--usually the highest level rules of an organization.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.