The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electronic Meetings

Guest Gretchen

My organization has both a Membership and a Board, they have adopted RONR in its bylaws, and both the Membership and Board have monthly in-person meetings  (at least until COVID-19 struck back in March of 2020).  Because the bylaws authorizes only the Board to conduct electronic meetings, our membership has not met for over a year. Last month the Board met via teleconference and drafted an SOP (standard operating procedure) authorizing the membership to conduct electronic meetings, and they are calling an emergency in-person  meeting of the membership in June of 2021  to approve the SOP.   My question is: Do we have to amend the membership bylaws to conduct electronic meetings or can it be done by an SOP.  In fact, I was told that the Board could have approved the SOP without going through the membership at all.

10 minutes ago, Guest Gretchen said:

My organization has both a Membership and a Board, they have adopted RONR in its bylaws, and both the Membership and Board have monthly in-person meetings  (at least until COVID-19 struck back in March of 2020).  Because the bylaws authorizes only the Board to conduct electronic meetings, our membership has not met for over a year. Last month the Board met via teleconference and drafted an SOP (standard operating procedure) authorizing the membership to conduct electronic meetings, and they are calling an emergency in-person  meeting of the membership in June of 2021  to approve the SOP.   My question is: Do we have to amend the membership bylaws to conduct electronic meetings or can it be done by an SOP.  In fact, I was told that the Board could have approved the SOP without going through the membership at all.

The bylaws must be amended or you can't have them.

"Except as authorized in the bylaws, the business of an organization or board can be validly transacted only at a regular or properly called meeting—that is, as defined In 8:2(1), a single official gathering in one room or area—of the assembly of its members at which a quorum is present."  RONR (12th ed.) 9:30

On 5/27/2021 at 9:22 AM, Guest Gretchen said:

Emergencies notwithstanding, nothing short of a provision in the bylaws can authorize electronic meetings.  An SOP is not sufficient.  And the bylaws probably contain a procedure for their own amendment, which is the only way the bylaws may be changed.   If there is no such procedure, RONR does contain a default.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.