The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Retroactive 2021 motion to authorize 2019 or 2020 disbursement of Association funds previously not authorized

Guest Phil Lechak

17 minutes ago, Guest Phil Lechak said:

Does RRONR 12th ed. provide for a 2021 Motion to retroactively authorize funds disbursement for prior year's unauthorized disbursements?

No, but the actions taken by officers or others in making these unauthorized disbursements may be ratified (approved) by the adoption of a motion to do so.  See RONR, 12th ed., 10:54-57.

Stupid question.

If you have funds that existed in 2020, were unspent and in effect rolled over to 2021 and are available now, why not just make a motion to purchase the item or move the funds to the category you feel is more advantageous to the society? Why this "retroactive" stuff? 

38 minutes ago, Guest GUEST Phil said:

Honest question,

Funds were actually disbursed in 2019 and 2020, unauthorized at the time

Yes, it was a good question, and if you have any questions remaining after reviewing my response and what is said in the paragraphs cited, please let us know.

Honest question,

Funds were actually disbursed in 2019 and 2020, unauthorized at the time

Thank you, Daniel for helping out a newbie without years of experience.

I will not have access to my RONR until Wednesday but I am looking forward to viewing your answered text, It is sincerely appreciated.

Guest Phil, the key part (but not all) of the citations given to you by Mr. Honemann can be found in official interpretation 2020-1 on the main website. Scroll way down to near the bottom of the list of interpretations. They are numbered by year and by interpretation number within each year. Click on the down arrow (or up arrow) to display the answer. https://robertsrules.com/official-interpretations/

it is important to note that while your organization may not be able to ratify certain actions (decisions) taken at improperly called or illegal meetings, it can ratify the actions taken by officers in  reliance upon those decisions. That Is a difference which many people do not understand.

My email address is listed in the “about me“ section of my profile. If you send me your email address, I will send you a copy and paste of the sections Mr. Honemann cited.  

Also, you might want to consider purchasing the Kindle version of RONR for $25 from Amazon. It works well on both computers and cell phones and has an excellent search function.

Your question was an a very good  question.

Edited by Richard Brown
Corrected Official Interpretation # from 2011-1 to 2020-1

Daniel and Richard,

I have read RONR 12th ED 10:54-55 and now understand what is necessary to ratify these prior actions12. I will inform the Board and Assembly.

Once more, l extend my very most sincere appreciation for your guidance and assistance.

Phil

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.