The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guests at meeting

Guest Dana Reilly

Perhaps others will correct me, but it seems to me that this would be up to the assembly as to what it wishes to include. There is no general requirement that attendance be included. Names are mentioned as needed for specific purposes, and almost none of those purposes will arise as to the guests. But if your rules call for the inclusion of attendance, then those rules may give an answer. If they don't clearly give one, then I would think this becomes a matter of interpretation for the body to decide. And if you have no such rules, but instead include them by custom, then the assembly can order one answer or the other.

1 hour ago, Guest Dana Reilly said:

When taking minutes, should guests be listed as attendees if they are not presenting?

Not unless you have a rule or a custom which requires it or the assembly adopts a motion at the meeting for the minutes to include the names of the guests.  If a guest is recognized or permitted to speak at the meeting it is perhaps a judgment call as to whether that should be noted in the minutes.  Past custom on this issue would also be relevant.  As a general rule, I think it would not be noted unless you have a rule or an adopted motion or a custom  to the contrary.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added .”or custom”

On 6/1/2021 at 8:18 AM, Guest Dana Reilly said:

When taking minutes, should guests be listed as attendees if they are not presenting?

If the rules in RONR apply, there is no requirement to list the names of any attendees, whether members or guests, in the minutes.  The only necessary notations are who was presiding and who was recording.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.