The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secretary absent from meeting. Watched a youtube video of the meeting and wants to change the minutes now. Is that allowed?

Guest Gwen Grace

The Secretary was absent from the meeting.  Minutes were written and did not include details of opinions and conversation that the secretary thinks should be included.  For instance she added that a member resigned because he didn't like the way he was treated.  I feel it's not relevant but I also wonder, since she was not present either in person or on zoom, can she change the minutes.  Does watching a youtube video count?

Help!!

If the minutes have already been approved, then a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted is required.

If the minutes have not yet been approved, then the secretary may suggest a correction when the draft minutes come up for approval. 

A couple of points:

- the person who acted as secretary pro tem at the meeting should be the one to draft the minutes of that meeting
- the secretary has no authority to change approved minutes on their own
- the fact that the secretary was not at the meeting does not affect their right as a member to propose corrections: "It should be noted that a member’s absence from the meeting for which minutes are being approved does not prevent the member from participating in their correction or approval." RONR (12th ed.) 41:11

3 hours ago, Guest Gwen Grace said:

Minutes were written and did not include details of opinions and conversation that the secretary thinks should be included.

Agreeing with what has been said, I'll just add that the secretary is almost certainly wrong about this. These are the sorts of things that specifically should not be included in the minutes.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.