The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Order of Business

Tomm

1 hour ago, Tomm said:

Is a Special Order of Business basically the same thing as a Special Rule of Order? 

It can be either included in the Bylaws as a Bylaw or written and documented separately as a Special Rule of Order?  

No.  A Special Rule of Order is as you have described.

A Special Order (not "of business)  is a question or item of business that has been set to be taken up at a particular hour, and takes precedence over any other business that may be in progress at that hour. 

25 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

A Special Order (not "of business)  is a question or item of business that has been set to be taken up at a particular hour, and takes precedence over any other business that may be in progress at that hour. 

So are you saying that a Special Order of Business is only good for one particular agenda or meeting?

What if you wanted to permanently change and rearrange or remove the items of the standard order of business? Wouldn't that now be called Special Order of Business?

5 minutes ago, Tomm said:

So are you saying that a Special Order of Business is only good for one particular agenda or meeting?

What if you wanted to permanently change and rearrange or remove the items of the standard order of business? Wouldn't that now be called Special Order of Business?

Yes, a special order of business can be adopted that would apply to all sessions. Mr. Novosielski thought you were referring to a special order, an understandable mistake.

An order of business could be provided in the bylaws or adopted as a special rule of order.

Edited by Tim Wynn

20 minutes ago, Tomm said:

No, I'm saying that the term Special Order of Business is not a term.

A Special Order pertains to one item of business for one meeting.

The Standard Order of Business contains a subdivision called "Special Orders", which occurs fourth in the Standard Order of Business.  It is possible to revise the order of business to add or delete categories, or you can adopt an agenda for the meeting, in which case an order of business would not be used.

2 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

No, I'm saying that the term Special Order of Business is not a term.

But it's easy to see why someone might think so:

"In organizations that have adopted this book as parliamentary authority and that have not adopted a special order of business, this series of headings is the prescribed order of business for regular meetings, unless the periods intervening between consecutive regular meetings are usually more than a quarterly time interval (see 9:7)." - RONR (12th ed.) 41:6

😉

1 minute ago, Tim Wynn said:

But it's easy to see why someone might think so:

"In organizations that have adopted this book as parliamentary authority and that have not adopted a special order of business, this series of headings is the prescribed order of business for regular meetings, unless the periods intervening between consecutive regular meetings are usually more than a quarterly time interval (see 9:7)." - RONR (12th ed.) 41:6

😉

Just because they adopt a special order of business doesn't make it a Special Order of Business.

2 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Just because they adopt a special order of business doesn't make it a Special Order of Business.

I suppose that's the same way using the standard order of business doesn't make it a Standard Order of Business. 

"This is also frequently done when, for any reason, neither the standard order of business nor a special order of business established by rule of the organization is practical or applicable." - RONR (12th ed.) 41:60

It never occurred to me that a standard order of business was not the same thing as a Standard Order of Business or that a special order of business was not the same thing as a Special Order of Business. Ouch! my head hurts! I need to rest for a second.

4 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

A Special Rule of Order is as you have described.

Is this the same thing as a special rule of order?

I too have no idea what is happening in this thread and am tempted to delete most of it.

Adoption of a special order of business (which is clearly a term used in RONR, lack of capitalization notwithstanding) outside the bylaws is clearly an instance of adopting a special rule of order, as stated in 2:16.

14 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

or you can adopt an agenda for the meeting, in which case an order of business would not be used.

Hmmmm? We covered this in another post and I was informed that the agenda and the order of business were complementary but not the same thing and although new business may not have been listed in the agenda, it was still inherently there and new business could be raised once all the items on the agenda were completed?

On 6/16/2021 at 9:43 AM, Tomm said:

Hmmmm? We covered this in another post and I was informed that the agenda and the order of business were complementary but not the same thing and although new business may not have been listed in the agenda, it was still inherently there and new business could be raised once all the items on the agenda were completed?

The answer to your question can be found in section 41. Part of the answer will depend on what your organization believes "agenda" to encompass, that is, how it is used, whether the entire meeting or part of the whole. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.