The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ad Hoc Committee

D Kennedy

13 minutes ago, D Kennedy said:

Is the duty of the Ad Hoc Committee to recommend changes or acctually make the motion for changes?

Generally the reporting member of the committee makes the necessary motions to implement the committee's recommendations.

16 minutes ago, D Kennedy said:

If the changes affect membership dues/duties should the recommendations go to th Membership committee who makes the recommendation to the board?

The recommendations should be made to the committee's parent assembly, which conceivably could be the board or the membership, or may even be the Membership Committee, in which event this committee would be a subcommittee. That assembly could then refer the recommendations to a different committee for further study if it wishes.

2 hours ago, D Kennedy said:

Is the duty of the Ad Hoc Committee to recommend changes or acctually make the motion for changes?

I agree with Mr. Martin's answer.  The reporting member usually makes the necessary motion on behalf of the committee.

2 hours ago, D Kennedy said:

If the changes affect membership dues/duties should the recommendations go to th Membership committee who makes the recommendation to the board?

Again, I agree with the answer above by Mr. Martin, but would add that RONR contains no rules concerning whether a recommendation from a committee in your situation should be made to another committee.  That is a judgment call for your organization to make based on your own rules and customs. 

Just now, Richard Brown said:

I agree with Mr. Martin's answer.  The reporting member usually makes the necessary motion on behalf of the committee.

Again, I agree with the answer above by Mr. Martin, but would add that RONR contains no rules concerning whether a recommendation from a committee in your situation should be made to another committee.  That is a judgment call for your organization to make based on your own rules and customs. 

I agree, and if the organization's rules are silent, the default case is that the recommendations would be made to the parent body to which the committee reports.  Any motions made would be fully amendable, and could also be referred to any other committees as the body might see fit--perhaps a standing committee, another ad hoc committee, or even recommit it back to the same ad-hoc committee for further consideration.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.