The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removing Nominee after Nomination

Guest ALP

Working with an organization where by bylaws provide that the Nominating Committee shall provide a list of nominees for open positions 90-days before the annual meeting. List was emailed to the members as required.  Organization received information about a nominee and now wants to remove that individual from consideration.  Bylaws are silent on this and I could not find anything to specifically address in RONR.  Any guidance appreciated

35 minutes ago, Guest ALP said:

Working with an organization where by bylaws provide that the Nominating Committee shall provide a list of nominees for open positions 90-days before the annual meeting. List was emailed to the members as required.  Organization received information about a nominee and now wants to remove that individual from consideration.  Bylaws are silent on this and I could not find anything to specifically address in RONR.  Any guidance appreciated

If what you mean is that your Nominating Committee now wishes to withdraw its nomination of this individual, I would think that its request for permission to so can be made only when nominations are in order, and that unanimous consent will be required in order for it to obtain such permission. 

I am not sure who "Organization" is who received the information, but a member may obtain the floor while nominations are open and relate the information if it goes to the heart of the question whether it is advisable to elect the nominee about whom the information pertains.  Just for an example, if it has become known that one of the nominees for treasurer has been previously convicted of embezzlement, the member possessing that information would, I think, have an obligation to the organization to relate that information while nominations are open.

To add more context  This is a large organization (1000+ members) that allows proxy voting and most of the members vote in that manner.  The number of members that actually attend the meeting is minimal (maybe around 50-100).  The Nominating Committee would like to exclude the name of this person from the actual proxy(ballot) that is provided to the members.  Thank you again for the advice provided so far.      

6 hours ago, ALP said:

To add more context  This is a large organization (1000+ members) that allows proxy voting and most of the members vote in that manner.  The number of members that actually attend the meeting is minimal (maybe around 50-100).  The Nominating Committee would like to exclude the name of this person from the actual proxy(ballot) that is provided to the members.  Thank you again for the advice provided so far.      

Based upon the facts provided so far, I do not think the Nominating Committee has the authority "to exclude the name of this person from the actual proxy(ballot) that is provided to the members."

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.