The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Restricting Debate

Guest Anne

My club’s president restricted our debate on several amendment changes There were still people with concerns and they were not allowed to speak. Would cutting off the debate void the results of the vote since my rights of membership were ignored? Or, are we stuck?

On 10/9/2021 at 2:16 PM, Guest Anne said:

My club’s president restricted our debate on several amendment changes There were still people with concerns and they were not allowed to speak. Would cutting off the debate void the results of the vote since my rights of membership were ignored? Or, are we stuck?

A Point of Order regarding this matter would have had to be raised at the time.

Unless your organization has adopted rules/bylaws giving the president powers to control the debate timing, no, the president does not have unilateral power to cut off debate while others are still seeking recognition to continue debating.  Instead the assembly decides how long to debate.  If 2/3 of the assembly decides it is time to stop talking and get to a vote, they can do so by adopting a motion for the previous question with a 2/3 vote.  See RONR, 12th ed., 16:1 and following.  That is the point of order which should be raised the next time you encounter this situation. 

I agree with the above posters that the point of order should have been raised at the time, and it's too late to do that now.  For more info on what types of points of order must be raised immediately versus which ones can be raised later, see RONR, 12th ed., 23:5 and following.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.