The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections for Private Club

Guest Biily

On 10/18/2021 at 3:07 PM, Guest Biily said:

We have an upcoming private club election which has an E-Board. The office in question is that of the President. If no one is nominated or decides to run for this office position. What happens? 

What do your bylaws say is the term of office.  Quote exactly. 

A.    The tenure for the office of President and Treasurer shall be 2 years and the President is not to succeed himself or herself by re-election more than once.  The offices of Vice President, Treasurer, Membership, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, Fleet Captain, Tournament Officer, and E-Board members are not bound by this ruling.  They may run for a continuing term for the same office.

Richard, no there is not and that will have to be changed in our current bylaws so this incident doesn't occur again. From what I understand, if no one is nominated and accepts the position or no one "throws their name into the hat" per se, this will be the first time in the history of the club that this has happened. Sad but it seems no one wants to get involved or do anything anymore. As with most organizations, clubs etc. it's the same handful of people that actually care about what's going on with the club or wants to do anything to help out. 

Guest Billy, you do still have a couple of options, but I’m not able to explain them at the moment. If no one else does, I will try to come back later with a couple of suggestions. First, tell me: do you conduct your elections at a meeting?

Edited to add: Also, does your organization utilize a nominating committee? One more question: can nominations be made from the floor at the election meeting? (Note: RONR requires that nominations permitted at the election meeting unless your  bylaws or special rules of order prohibit it).

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

On 10/19/2021 at 6:13 PM, Guest Biily said:

Yes we do conduct nominations/elections at our general membership and/or e-board meetings. We do also have a nominating committee. Nominations can be made from the floor at a general membership and/or e-board meeting.

I understand why you have elections at general membership meetings, but who is elected at board meetings?

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. Nominations are taken at our General Membership Meetings and our E-Board Meetings in both October and November. The actual election of officers are held during our General Membership meeting in December. Appreciate everyone's input on this. 

My apologies, maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. We have nominations at our General Membership meeting and E-Board Meeting in both October and November. Our actual election is held during the month of December. Thank you all for your input on this topic. Much appreciated.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.