The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Establishing an Ex-Officio or Honorary Member

JohnMCU

Hi everyone,

At a recent meeting with the Board, there were discussions surrounding bringing in other individuals to play the role of advisors to the Board and Committees. The term ex officio was thrown around but I suspect Honorary Member is the correct term because they are considering certain individuals rather than specific roles/offices. Plus, I don't believe that the intention is to have these individuals vote or make motions.

In any event, we are all unsure as to how to initiate either; how do ex officio or honorary advisors typically get established. Is it a full election process with nomination and voting? I imagine an update to the by-laws is required or at least encouraged in either situation?

Thank you in advance to any advice that you can give.

Ex-officio members are members by virtue of a held office. For example, the treasurer of a society may be an ex-officio member of the finance board because he holds the office of treasurer. The term simply refers to how he became part of the board. In this example, he's on the board not because he was elected or appointed as a board member, but because of the office held (treasurer), to which he may have been elected or appointed. Typically the provisions for this are in the bylaws.

"An honorary office is in fact not an office but - like honorary membership - a complimentary title that may be bestowed on members or nonmembers." (47:42)  If you read further in 47:42, it refers to electing as the usual way one would become an honorary member or honorary officer, and the distinction between the two.

Edited by Tom Coronite
clarity

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.