The Official RONR Q & A Forums

amendments

peaches70

XII. AMENDMENTS
12.1 Adoption of Amendments
This Declaration may be amended by the affirmative vote of sixty (60) percent of the total number of votes present at the annual Corporate meeting or at special meetings. Any amendments so adopted will be supplied in writing to all eligible voters within thirty (30) days following such adoption.
12.2 Proposed Amendments
Content of potential amendments to the Governing Documents may be proposed by a Lot Owner or the Board of Directors. Content of proposed Amendments, as proposed by Lot Owners, shall be submitted to the Board of Directors no later than the second Friday in November before the annual Membership Meeting.
XIII

Then it seems amendments do not need 30 days notice, and also may not be submitted up until the meeting itself, but rather must be submitted to the Board no later than the second Friday in November before the annual Membership Meeting. Note: perhaps that makes more sense in context, but it seems highly ambiguous to me.

I believe I disagree with my friend Joshua Katz. Although interpretation of an organization’s  bylaws is up to the members of that organization, my own interpretation of the bylaws and RONR, taken together, is that amendments to the proposed bylaw amendments may indeed be proposed from the floor and considered by the organization as long as they are “within the scope of notice“ as provided in RONR.  For more information, see section 35 of RONR (12th Ed.), particularly sections 35:2 (6) and 35:4. See also 56:50. 

On 10/30/2021 at 1:18 PM, Richard Brown said:

is that amendments to the proposed bylaw amendments may indeed be proposed from the floor and considered by the organization as long as they are “within the scope of notice“ as provided in RONR.

I think the pending amendment may be amended within the scope of notice. I do not think the author can unilaterally amend it such that the body loses the chance to consider it.

On 10/30/2021 at 12:32 PM, Joshua Katz said:

I do not think the author can unilaterally amend it such that the body loses the chance to consider it.

Oh, I agree. The author himself may not unilaterally amend it. He may propose an amendment to it once it is under consideration just as any other member may do.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.