The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adjourned meeting quorum

Tomm

Just curious...

If a bylaw states:

"If a quorum is present when a meeting is convened, the quorum shall be deemed to exist until the meeting is adjourned"

Question: Because an "adjourned meeting" is only a continuation of an unfinished, immediately preceding regular or special meeting, does a quorum need to be reestablished again or was the quorum that was established at the original meeting meet the requirements?  

On 12/3/2021 at 10:25 AM, Tomm said:

Just curious...

If a bylaw states:

"If a quorum is present when a meeting is convened, the quorum shall be deemed to exist until the meeting is adjourned"

Question: Because an "adjourned meeting" is only a continuation of an unfinished, immediately preceding regular or special meeting, does a quorum need to be reestablished again or was the quorum that was established at the original meeting meet the requirements?  

I'd say the former. The first meeting did, in fact, adjourn.

I agree with Mr. Honemann. As he correctly pointed out to me years ago when I made the (incorrect) statement that an adjourned meeting is a continuation of the current meeting, an adjourned  meeting is actually a separate meeting. It is a continuation of the present session, but not of the present meeting.  It is a separate meeting. That is a common misconception and a distinction which lots of people are not aware of.  I even see regular posters on this forum make that mistake from time to time.

The definition of an adjourned meeting in section 9:17 of the 12th edition of RONR can perhaps be a bit confusing. However, the definition as stated in section 22:9 is simpler and a bit easier to understand. It states that an adjourned meeting is “another meeting that will be a continuation of the session at which the motion is adopted.”  That makes it pretty clear that an adjourned meeting is in fact a separate meeting.

Edited by Richard Brown
Typographical correction

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.