The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"New business" vs. "Open Discussion"

Osmigo

At our small HOA meetings, the leaders often drift away from regular RRO meeting protocol, just being a little casual sometimes.  The agenda usually includes "New Business," and later, "Open Discussion." 

I'm not clear on the specific definition of "New Business" and "Open Discussion."  While "Open Discussion" isn't addressed in RRONR, I've never been to an HOA meeting where it wasn't on the agenda.

During the "New Business" section, after discussing current matters (e.g. getting an estimate on paving next week), the chair will say, "is there anything else anybody wants to bring up?"  Then somebody may or may not say anything.

Later, when we reach the agenda item "Open Discussion," the chair skips right over it, saying "well, I guess we're ready to adjourn."  The idea is that "Open Discussion" was combined with "New Business." 

I think the mistake being made here is that they're assuming anything that hasn't been previously discussed is "new" in a sense, therefore it's "New Business."  But I'm not sure that's what "New Business" means, per RRO.

Looking at RRONR In Brief, page 15, defining "New Business," it says:

4. New Business

The chair asks, "is there any new business?" New Items may then be brought up by any member, using the procedure - making a motion - described in the next chapter [RONR (11th ed.), p. 360].   ....and that's all it says.

The way this reads, the New Business section of the agenda is ONLY for making motions, NOT open discussion. 

Thus, New Business would NOT be where a member would say something like, "I've been seeing a couple of stray dogs down on Lot 10..."  or "does anybody know who owns that white truck?" which is exactly what's been happening.  Would that be a correct interpretation?

Thanks!

Ron

Edited by Osmigo

If the board is operating using the procedure for small boards, informal discussion without a motion pending is in order.  See RONR (12th ed.), 49:21 4)  There is really no need for a category called Open Discussion.  I see you are using the 11th Edition so see pp. 487-88.

Edited by George Mervosh

On 12/6/2021 at 10:04 AM, George Mervosh said:

If the board is operating using the procedure for small boards, informal discussion without a motion pending is in order.  See RONR (12th ed.), 49:21 4)  There is really no need for a category called Open Discussion.  I see you are using the 11th Edition so see pp. 487-88.

That's fine, it actually makes sense to combine the two.  In our case, there IS a category called "Open Discussion," so that created an awkward moment for some people.  They didn't bring up their issues during New Business because they seemed out of order.  Then when Open Discussion arrived, it was ignored by the chair, who went straight to adjournment.  

I guess what we need to do is address this question at the next meeting. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Let's make sure we have all the facts straight.

Are you referring to meetings of your board or meetings of your full membership, and whichever it is, how frequently are these meetings held?

Has your association adopted Robert's Rules as its parliamentary authority?

Is this "agenda" to which your refer actually adopted at the beginning of each meeting?

On 12/6/2021 at 11:08 AM, Dan Honemann said:

Let's make sure we have all the facts straight.

Are you referring to meetings of your board or meetings of your full membership, and whichever it is, how frequently are these meetings held?

Has your association adopted Robert's Rules as its parliamentary authority?

Is this "agenda" to which your refer actually adopted at the beginning of each meeting?

Meetings of the full membership.  Right now it's annual, about 25 people.  We haven't adopted RR. They sort of pretend to - they have the standard agenda format, make motions, etc. but it's not officially adopted or mentioned in the bylaws.  No, we don't adopt the agenda at the beginning of the meeting.  

On 12/6/2021 at 12:11 PM, Osmigo said:

Meetings of the full membership.  Right now it's annual, about 25 people.  We haven't adopted RR. They sort of pretend to - they have the standard agenda format, make motions, etc. but it's not officially adopted or mentioned in the bylaws.  No, we don't adopt the agenda at the beginning of the meeting.  

Thanks for this additional information.

Since no agenda is adopted at these meetings, there isn't any agenda unless one has been created pursuant to provisions contained in your governing documents or applicable law.

As a matter of general parliamentary law, however, I think it is safe to say that "new business" is brought up by the making of a motion. In your initial post you say:

"Thus, New Business would NOT be where a member would say something like, "I've been seeing a couple of stray dogs down on Lot 10..."  or "does anybody know who owns that white truck?" which is exactly what's been happening.  Would that be a correct interpretation?

I think the answer to your question is yes, that is correct.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.