The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Meeting Agenda

Lori Lukinuk

On 2/4/2022 at 2:24 PM, Lori Lukinuk said:

An organization has, Approval of the Agenda, in their Regular Meeting order of business.

An agenda is used when an assembly does not have a regular order of business or when the regular order of business is not suitable for a particular meeting, and therefore the agenda is used instead of the regular order of business for that particular meeting. If the assembly has a regular order of business, then in most cases, the assembly should simply follow that order of business. As a result, it makes no sense to put "Approval of the Agenda" as part of the regular order of business.

On 2/4/2022 at 2:24 PM, Lori Lukinuk said:

For a Special Meeting, is there a need for Approval of the Agenda? My feeling is no, since the meeting is called to deal with only that which was in the call. 

I am in agreement that, generally speaking, there is no need for an agenda for a special meeting (and therefore no need to approve one). As you say, the meeting is called to deal only with the business included in the call. The purpose of an agenda (or order of business) is to show the order in which business is to be conducted, and if there is only one item of business to consider, then the order seems fairly obvious.

I suppose it is conceivable that in a particular case, a special meeting is called to deal with numerous items, and in those circumstances an agenda might be desirable.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.