The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Workshop Meeting Shenanigans

Nate Covington

I'm looking for feedback on this.  I think I found an issue with my local township where they recessed a meeting (not adjourn) without saying when the meeting would be reconvened.

Then they had a "Workshop Meeting" the following week where they reconvened the meeting - then took official business action.  

It seems like this is a violation of the Sunshine Act as well - any help or guidance would be appreciated.  I'm in Pennsylvania if it matters.  

Attached are some screenshots to illustrate what I'm describing

• 1 month later...

Circling back to this, I found something else in the meeting minutes that changes the picture a little:

Earlier in the actual meeting, the one that was recessed, this happened:

(Chair) made a motion to table the decision of the bid until the workshop/meeting on Wednesday, April 21, 2021, so (solicitor) could review the bids.  The motionded was seconded and carried.  All supervisors voted aye.  

See attachment for actual context:

[Content deleted by moderator]

Curious re: opinions on how this sits given the new information.  

Edited by Shmuel Gerber

On 4/27/2022 at 4:57 PM, Nate Covington said:

Circling back to this, I found something else in the meeting minutes that changes the picture a little:

(Chair) made a motion to table the decision of the bid until the workshop/meeting on Wednesday, April 21, 2021, so (solicitor) could review the bids.  The motionded was seconded and carried.  All supervisors voted aye.  

Sorry, we no longer allow posting to external sources or uploading of documents to the forum.

Please see https://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/38364-welcome-to-the-official-ronr-q-a-forums/ regarding the purpose and scope of the forum.

On 4/27/2022 at 3:57 PM, Nate Covington said:

I don't think it changes anything, and I'm not entirely clear on what about this you think "changes the picture a little." It appears that the assembly needs some education about the difference between the meanings of the terms "recessed" vs. "adjourned" and "tabled" vs. "postponed" (which is not unusual), but there does not appear to be any violation of the rules of RONR. Questions about whether the actions in question were violations of the Pennsylvania Sunshine Act remain beyond the scope of RONR and this forum and should be directed to an attorney.

In regard to the "tabled" vs. "postponed" issue, see FAQ #12. In regard to "recessed" vs. "adjourned," see RONR (12th ed.) 8:2, 8:6-7.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.