The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Definitions in Bylaws

Tomm

On 4/4/2022 at 4:24 PM, Tomm said:

Do definition of terms belong in the bylaws or should they be documented separately.

I think what sort of terms are being defined may make a difference.

If the term in question is one which is already defined elsewhere (applicable law, the parliamentary authority, the dictionary), the organization is following that definition, and the purpose of the definition is simply to inform members of the existing definition, then it may be preferable to have such an informational sheet as a separate document.

On the other hand, if the bylaws are creating a new term, or using an existing term in a manner which is unique to the society, then there is no doubt that the definitions of these terms belong in the bylaws.

On 4/4/2022 at 6:34 PM, Tomm said:

I was just wondering if, perhaps, they belonged under standing rules where they would be printed under a separate heading in the same booklet as the bylaws?

Provided the term in question originates from the bylaws, no, I don't think this is appropriate, unless the bylaws specifically provide that the term in question shall be defined in the standing rules. In addition, terms certainly should not be defined in the standing rules unless the term in question relates to rules in the nature of standing rules (as opposed to rules of order).

As Mr. Katz has noted, the standing rules cannot conflict with the bylaws. To attempt to define terms used in the bylaws in the standing rules (unless this is explicitly authorized by the bylaws) seems like an attempt to find a loophole in that rule.

It may help if you were able to provide an example of what you had in mind.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 4/4/2022 at 6:46 PM, Tomm said:

Some of the terms in the current bylaws are:

Cardholder, Cardholder Privileges, Chartered Clubs, Company, Corporate Documents, Member Privileges, Senior Management...

Thank you. My view is that if these terms are used in the bylaws, they should be defined in the bylaws. Since there are so many of them, it may be desirable to create an entire section of "Definitions."

Perhaps the only one that would not need to be defined in the bylaws is "Company," as that word has a standard definition. So to the extent the bylaws use the term in the same way, a definition may not be needed.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.