The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ratify - Board action

J. J.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:46 AM, J. J. said:

Then the point of order is well taken and the chair's decision is sustained upon appeal.  If that is not your ruling, please indicate that.  I do not wish to misrepresent it. 

My response was that I think the point of order is well taken if the standing rule to which you have referred (and which we haven't seen), properly understood, actually means that an attorney's bill submitted under circumstances such as you have described cannot be paid.  If you say that it does mean this, I'm perfectly willing to take your word for it.

On 4/11/2022 at 12:07 PM, Dan Honemann said:

My response was that I think the point of order is well taken if the standing rule to which you have referred (and which we haven't seen), properly understood, actually means that an attorney's bill submitted under circumstances such as you have described cannot be paid.  If you say that it does mean this, I'm perfectly willing to take your word for it.

That is what the rule does describe.  :)

So now we move into June.

In June, the Board meets at a properly called, quorate meeting and ratifies the action taken at the March Board meeting.

At the July Club meeting the attorney's bill is presented to the Club for payment authorization.  A member raises a point of order that because the issue was decided at the May Club meeting that the motion to pay the bill was out of order.  Should the point of order be well taken? 

On 4/11/2022 at 1:31 PM, J. J. said:

That is what the rule does describe.  :)

So now we move into June.

In June, the Board meets at a properly called, quorate meeting and ratifies the action taken at the March Board meeting.

At the July Club meeting the attorney's bill is presented to the Club for payment authorization.  A member raises a point of order that because the issue was decided at the May Club meeting that the motion to pay the bill was out of order.  Should the point of order be well taken? 

Almost 24 hours later and I am still at a loss to see why the point should be well taken.  There has been a change in circumstances since May.  What do you think, J.J.?

On 4/12/2022 at 11:22 AM, George Mervosh said:

Almost 24 hours later and I am still at a loss to see why the point should be well taken.  There has been a change in circumstances since May.  What do you think, J.J.?

I do not believe it should be well taken, for several reasons.  However, I have been trying not to give an opinion, or ask a loaded question, on any of these things. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.