The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Under what circumstances can a meeting be called?

Phil D

I preside over a chapter of a larger organization. The chapter bylaws state that "Chapter meetings hall be held in accordance with [provision of the parent organization's constitution]."

The relevant provision of that constitution, in pertinent part reads: "Chapters shall meet at least four times annually. [ . . . ] Such meetings shall be called and attended by the chapter president or his/her duly constituted representative. [ . . . ] Each chapter’s annual meeting shall be held in the month of April.  [ . . . ] If the chapter president does not call the required meetings of the chapter before the month of April, a majority of the officers of the chapter may call a special meeting of the chapter to transact chapter business and to prepare for the annual meeting in April." (The omitted language has to do with reporting our minutes to the parent organization and getting rebates as an incentive for complying with the constitutional requirements).

There is no other language about the circumstances for scheduling chapter meetings in the chapter bylaws or the parent organization's constitution. 

What authority do I have as president, and what authority does membership have to schedule meetings beyond the quarterly minimum? Can membership adopt standing rules that govern calling such meetings? Or would they have to go through a Bylaws change to call for more frequent meetings. I know that what I want does not exactly enter into consideration for RONR purposes, but I think the chapter would benefit from having some ability to call more frequent meetings if some acute situation comes up that membership wants to address. 

Edited by Phil D

On 5/17/2022 at 6:04 PM, Phil D said:

I preside over a chapter of larger organization. The chapter bylaws state that "Chapter meetings hall be held in accordance with [provision of the parent organization's constitution]."

The relevant provision of that constitution, in pertinent part reads: "Chapters shall meet at least four times annually. [ . . . ] Such meetings shall be called and attended by the chapter president or his/her duly constituted representative. [ . . . ] Each chapter’s annual meeting shall be held in the month of April.  [ . . . ] If the chapter president does not call the required meetings of the chapter before the month of April, a majority of the officers of the chapter may call a special meeting of the chapter to transact chapter business and to prepare for the annual meeting in April." (The omitted language has to do with reporting our minutes to the parent organization and getting rebates as an incentive for complying with the constitutional requirements).

There is no other language about the circumstances for scheduling chapter meetings in the chapter bylaws or the parent organization's constitution. 

What authority do I have as president, and what authority does membership have to schedule meetings beyond the quarterly minimum? Can membership adopt standing rules that govern calling such meetings? Or would they have to go through a Bylaws change to call for more frequent meetings. I know that what I want does not exactly enter into consideration for RONR purposes, but I think the chapter would benefit from having some ability to call more frequent meetings if some acute situation comes up that membership wants to address. 

Two questions:

First, has the national organization adopted RONR as its parliamentary authority?

Second question: has your local chapter adopted RONR as its parliamentary authority?

Edited by Richard Brown
Typographical correction

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.