The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Becoming a Registered Parliamentarian

Mike Phillips

My business partner sent me a link to a university course that provides the requisite training to become a registered parliamentarian. The course was around $350, as I recall. At this point, I can't find the link he sent. So let me ask: What course or courses are available that you would recommend?

EDIT: I just found the link. The price has gone up significantly. Any thoughts on this path to becoming an RP?
https://il.wisconsin.edu/course-catalog/introduction-to-parliamentary-procedure-dynamics-of-leadership/c216-m28-14o/

The information in the link states "Students who finish this course and pass the examination with a grade of C or higher are eligible for membership in the National Association of Parliamentarians without further testing."  There is difference between becoming a member of this organization and becoming a "Registered Parliamentarian."

On 6/3/2022 at 6:53 PM, Mike Phillips said:

Understood, so let me ask the question this way. Is this college-level course a good way to work towards becoming an RP, or is there a better pathway you would recommend?

I haven't taken the course, so I can't speak from personal experience. I simply studied for the membership exam on my own and, as I recall, did pretty well on it. All I can say if that you have to become a member before you can become an RP. Which route you take depends a great deal on how well you feel you can study on your own. Or, you may be able to find a local unit or an individual member offering a course culminating in taking the exam. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.