The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"Immediate" Past President

Guest Karen F.

Hello,

I am new to Robert's Rules of Order for the Genealogy Board I am a member of.  Question - Our current President is stepping down.  We have a Past President position, however she wants to run for Vice President instead of being the Past President.  We really do want the current Past President to remain.  Is there any wiggle room with the "Immediate" part of the title??

Karen F

On 6/17/2022 at 4:30 PM, Guest Karen F. said:

Hello,

I am new to Robert's Rules of Order for the Genealogy Board I am a member of.  Question - Our current President is stepping down.  We have a Past President position, however she wants to run for Vice President instead of being the Past President.  We really do want the current Past President to remain.  Is there any wiggle room with the "Immediate" part of the title??

Karen F

Robert's Rules has no definition of past president or immediate past president. Any "wiggle room" regarding the officer positions would have to be stated in your bylaws.

On 6/17/2022 at 4:30 PM, Guest Karen F. said:

Hello,

Karen F

While RONR does not specifically refer to that office, it does contain guidelines for interpreting language in your bylaws.

The general principle is that if the drafters of your bylaws intended for wiggle room to be allowed, they would have mentioned it. Rules regarding qualifications for holding office are not the type of rules that can be suspended, even when they prove to be inconvenient.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.