The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Limit on number of topics announced when calling a Special Meeting?

glaufman

I've been told that RONR only allows one piece of business to be discussed at a Special meeting. (Membership or board)... I cannot find any reference to that, only that nothing can be considered except that which is in the announcement of the Special Meeting.

Is there any such limit on the quantity of topics to be covered?

(No such thing in our Constitution either, though that does say other items may be taken up with unanimous consent of those present)

No, there is no limit to the number of topics that can be discussed or acted upon at a special meeting as long as they are announced in the call of the meeting. You can’t find it in RONR because there is no such rule  limiting the number of topics or items of business in RONR for a special meeting.

@glaufman, see section 9:13 of RONR regarding special meetings which starts off with the following sentence:

9:13 A special meeting (or called meeting) is a separate session of a society held at a time different from that of any regular meeting, and convened only to consider one or more items of business specified in the call of the meeting. . . . . (Emphasis added) 

On 6/20/2022 at 11:21 PM, glaufman said:

I've been told that RONR only allows one piece of business to be discussed at a Special meeting. (Membership or board)... I cannot find any reference to that, only that nothing can be considered except that which is in the announcement of the Special Meeting.

Is there any such limit on the quantity of topics to be covered?

(No such thing in our Constitution either, though that does say other items may be taken up with unanimous consent of those present)

Ask the person who told you that to show you the rule in RONR  (It's not there.)

You can have as many different topics as you like as long as the notice of the time, place, and purpose of the meeting clearly and specifically describes the subject matter of the motions or items of business to be brought up, and this notice is sent to all the members the requisite number of days in advance. [9:13]

That provision in your constitution that allows other subjects to be covered supersedes the rule in RONR which does not allow it, and in my view this is unfortunate.  The purpose of the rule in RONR is to protect absentees, who may have received the notice of what would be covered, read it carefully, and decided they did not need to attend.  Then they discover that other subjects were decided which, had they known, would have persuaded them to attend.  But it is what it is.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.