The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes regarding when the chair votes

paulmcclintock

RONR, 12th edition.

Under rules for contents of minutes, the last sentence of 48:5(2) says "If the chair voted, no special mention of this fact is made in the minutes."

(2) has 3 parts: (a) is for "when a count has been ordered"; (b) is for "when the voting is by ballot"; and (c) is for "when the voting is by roll call."

The no-special-mention rule would seem to me to be sensible in any of these 3 cases, but the statement seems to be a part of (c) and by that placement could be interpreted to be applicable only in the case of (c).

How should the no-special-mention rule be applied?  To all of (2), or only to (2)(c)?

The 11th edition did not use (a), (b) and (c), but it seemed to me to be ambiguous there.

On 6/23/2022 at 11:46 PM, paulmcclintock said:

How should the no-special-mention rule be applied?  To all of (2), or only to (2)(c)?

The 11th edition did not use (a), (b) and (c), but it seemed to me to be ambiguous there.

Actually, I think this last sentence of 48:5(2) is not particular to any or all of (a), (b), or (c) but probably ought to be its own separate item (2)(d).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.