The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Write-in Candidates

VBenz

On 7/13/2022 at 12:37 PM, VBenz said:

We allow write-in candidates by bylaw.  We will also be amending our bylaws to permit virtual and hybrid Annual General meetings in the future.  Do you have any suggestions on how we might address write-in candidates for virtual and hybrid Annual General meetings?

It will likely be necessary for the society to use some form of online balloting system to accommodate elections for meetings conducted in this manner. Some such systems accommodate write-in votes. That would be the ideal solution.

In the event that the society is unable to find a system which both accommodates write-in votes and meets its other needs, a workaround I have sometimes seen used is to simply name one of the "candidates" as "Write-In" (or potentially multiple candidates, if it is an election for multiple seats), and then permit nominations to be reopened between rounds of balloting if needed.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 7/13/2022 at 2:12 PM, Josh Martin said:

It will likely be necessary for the society to use some form of online balloting system to accommodate elections for meetings conducted in this manner. Some such systems accommodate write-in votes. That would be the ideal solution.

In the event that the society is unable to find a system which both accommodates write-in votes and meets its other needs, a workaround I have sometimes seen used is to simply name one of the "candidates" as "Write-In" (or potentially multiple candidates, if it is an election for multiple seats), and then permit nominations to be reopened between rounds of balloting if needed.

That's an excellent idea.  I had not seen that one before.  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.