The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rule 50:8

Drake Savory

Rule 50:8 states that a proposed standing committee must be done through a Special Rule of Order if "all business of a certain class is to be automatically referred to the committee".  Classes of business are a reference to the agenda or orders of a day so I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what automatically referring that class of business to a committee would look like.   So what would that look like?

On 8/30/2022 at 7:07 PM, Drake Savory said:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what automatically referring that class of business to a committee would look like.   So what would that look like?

Oh, maybe a bylaws committee to which all proposed bylaw amendments proposed by members shall first be referred for review and a recommendation.

That's what I thought but "class of business" is cross-reference to "order of business" in the index which points to 3:15 to 3:17 and Section 41.  Looking at 3:16 it would seem that Rule 50:8 would be like if there was a Committee Oversight Committee to which all reports of special committees are automatically referred to.

On 8/30/2022 at 7:07 PM, Drake Savory said:

Rule 50:8 states that a proposed standing committee must be done through a Special Rule of Order if "all business of a certain class is to be automatically referred to the committee".  Classes of business are a reference to the agenda or orders of a day so I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what automatically referring that class of business to a committee would look like.   So what would that look like?

There are circumstances in which an organization might adopt a rule referring everything within a particular class of business to a committee. In a convention, for example, all items of New Business might be referred to the Resolutions Committee, unless the rules are suspended. See RONR (12th ed.) 59:42 for an example of such a rule.

I concur with Mr. Brown, however, that the phrase "business of a certain class" has a broader meaning in this particular context, and could also refer to all motions pertaining to a particular subject matter, not necessarily just to the "classes of business" discussed in Section 41.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.