The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rescinding a motion

Guest Mimi

A member of my association made a motion to read a particular statement at the commencement of each meeting.  The statement was not given to the membership before the meeting, and was not on the agenda.  Furthermore if was generally accusatory, and recommended the removal of any member who was showing "disrespect" to another member; incidentally, this has NEVER been a problem in meetings, at least for the past 15 years since I have been an officer.  The motion was passed, but many abstained.  Do I have the right to rescind the motion based on the fact that there was no appreciable time to consider it, and no debate; furthermore it is my understanding that the motion was made to read a statement, not act on its content.  Am I incorrect?

I don't know your role in this organization but I feel confident saying that you, as an individual, do not have the right to rescind a motion. You can move to Rescind the motion at the next meeting. If you give previous notice of the motion to rescind (by contacting the secretary and having the notice of motion go out with the notice of the meeting) then it will require a majority vote to adopt. Otherwise it will require a 2/3 vote or a majority of the entire membership. See §35 of RONR (12th ed.)

On 9/19/2022 at 5:21 PM, Guest Mimi said:

Do I have the right to rescind the motion based on the fact that there was no appreciable time to consider it, and no debate

These are not grounds, on their own, to nullify the adoption of a motion. While the motion is under consideration, someone could have debated it or moved to Postpone it to a Definite Time. They didn't, so apparently they thought there was adequate time to consider it and no need for debate (or they didn't understand or care what was going on, which falls under the parliamentary rule known colloquially as "You Snooze, You Lose").

it is my understanding that the motion was made to read a statement, not act on its content.  Am I incorrect?

I don't know. It depends on the exact wording of the motion that was adopted.

A point of order could possibly have raised at the time the motion was made and taken up, but it is much too late for that now.  However, the motion, which seems to me to be in the nature of a standing rule since it is a statement to be read at the beginning of each meeting, can be rescinded (or amended) at any time.  If previous notice of the intent to rescind or amend the motion is given at the previous meeting or in the call of a particular meeting, it can be rescinded or amended by a majority vote.  If previous notice is not given, rescinding or amending it will require a two thirds vote, or, as an alternative, the vote of a majority of the entire membership.  Standing rules are discussed primarily in section 2:23 of RONR and the vote required on motion to amend or rescind something previously adopted is discussed in section 35:2 (7) RONR (12th ed.).

Edited to add:  I agree with Dr. Kapur, who posted his response while I was composing mine, that you alone probably do not have the authority to rescind or annul this motion (assuming you are the chair).  That is something that must be done by the membership.  I intended to say that in my response, but was interrupted by a phone call and then forgot to add that.   There is a possibility that the motion could be declared null and void for some other reason, but I see nothing in what you have told us that indicates that is the situation.  Based on what we have been told, I believe rescinding (or amending) the motion is the best way to handle it.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

A member of my association made a motion to read a particular statement at the commencement of each meeting.  The statement was not given to the membership before the meeting, and was not on the agenda.  Furthermore if was generally accusatory, and recommended the removal of any member who was showing "disrespect" to another member; incidentally, this has NEVER been a problem in meetings, at least for the past 15 years since I have been an officer.  The motion was passed, but many abstained.  Do I have the right to rescind the motion based on the fact that there was no appreciable time to consider it, and no debate; furthermore it is my understanding that the motion was made to read a statement, not act on its content.  Am I incorrect?

You are incorrect unless you can cite some authority for unilaterally nullifying a majority vote, or some reason why the motion would have been out of order at the time it was made.  Since it seems no Point of Order was raised that the time, all you can do now it to move to Rescind the action.  That would take

• a two-thirds vote,
  • a majority vote with previous notice, or
  • a majority of the entire membership

any one of which will suffice.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.