The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending the agenda in an annual HOA association meeting

Bonnie

Under Robert's Rules, the same people who are entitled to vote in the meeting are entitled to make motions, speak in debate, etc.  So if it's a board meeting, and only board members can vote, then only board members can make motions.  If your annual meeting is a meeting of the full HOA membership, then any HOA member entitled to vote on the business at that meeting can make a motion to amend the agenda.

This answer is only useful, of course, assuming that neither your state law or the HOA itself has superseding rules to the contrary.

In 12th edition, I'd point you to 1:4, but I fished out my 11th edition to find the parallel is on p. 3 lines 1-15. 

It's all about who is a "member" of whatever group is meeting: board member, organization member, convention delegate, etc.  Being a member of the entity which is meeting entitles that person to attend meetings, make motions, speak in debate, and vote.  It's a set of rights which are bundled together, unless your organization has customized rules which give selective rights to other groups.

On 10/8/2022 at 5:13 PM, Bonnie said:

Thank you for considering my question: In an annual HOA meeting who has the authority to make a motion to amend the 
agenda? Can only a Board member make a request to amend or can someone in the association request to amend? 
Or can both? I have RROO 11 th edition but can’t seem to find the answer. Thanks.

In a meeting of the general membership, board members have no special status, since the board is not in session at the time.   In the typical case the president and secretary will preside and record, respectively, in both types of meeting, but even that is not certain.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.