The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reproducing Section 63 for membership?

Louise

Hello,

We currently have a problematic discipline procedure referenced in our bylaws that we are proposing to remove. However, some members have stated that we must then share the procedure we will be following instead (Section 63 of RONR). 

Given that we will hopefully never have to use this section, it doesn't make sense to purchase a couple hundred or so copies of Robert's Rules so that every member can reference this section if it is ever needed. However, it would be helpful (especially for those unsure about removing our existing procedure) to be able to share the details fo this section. (And then a couple hundred more when the next edition comes out in ten or so years).

Is it possible to obtain copyright permission to reproduce and share just that section?

On 10/26/2022 at 3:00 PM, Louise said:

it doesn't make sense to purchase a couple hundred or so copies of Robert's Rules so that every member can reference this section if it is ever needed.

Obviously we think that every member of every organization should get a copy of RONR anyway, for all of its sections. 😀

On 10/26/2022 at 3:00 PM, Louise said:

Is it possible to obtain copyright permission to reproduce and share just that section?

I don't know if this specific use will be allowed, but the person to contact is @Barbara Holloway.

On 10/26/2022 at 1:13 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

Obviously we think that every member of every organization should get a copy of RONR anyway, for all of its sections. 😀

As do I, as do I. What a lovely world it would be if everyone were familiar with (or at least had ready access to) its contents!

However, our organization's limited budget plays a role in its (in)ability to furnish each member with their own copy. :)

On 10/26/2022 at 1:13 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

I don't know if this specific use will be allowed, but the person to contact is @Barbara Holloway.

Thank you. I will reach out to her.

On 10/26/2022 at 2:00 PM, Louise said:

We currently have a problematic discipline procedure referenced in our bylaws that we are proposing to remove. However, some members have stated that we must then share the procedure we will be following instead (Section 63 of RONR). 

Given that we will hopefully never have to use this section, it doesn't make sense to purchase a couple hundred or so copies of Robert's Rules so that every member can reference this section if it is ever needed. However, it would be helpful (especially for those unsure about removing our existing procedure) to be able to share the details fo this section. (And then a couple hundred more when the next edition comes out in ten or so years).

I don't know whether this will be acceptable to members or not, but a compromise to consider might be to purchase a handful of copies which are available to members for review upon request. At a minimum, it would seem prudent for the society to have at least one copy - not just for this section, but for use in general.

On 10/26/2022 at 1:53 PM, Josh Martin said:

I don't know whether this will be acceptable to members or not, but a compromise to consider might be to purchase a handful of copies which are available to members for review upon request. At a minimum, it would seem prudent for the society to have at least one copy - not just for this section, but for use in general.

That's a good idea as well. There are at least two people in the organization with their own copies of the 12th edition (including me), and the organization has a number of copies of the 11th edition, but your point is well taken that the organization should update their older versions with the current one.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.