The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Questions to the Parliamentarian

Tomm

Agree that all inquiries go through the chair, though see RONR (12th ed.) 33:6 that the chair can redirect requests for information (not related to parliamentary procedure) to another officer or member.

The role of a parliamentarian can be found beginning at RONR (12th ed.) 47:46, but especially see 47:52 which says:

"Only on the most involved matters should the parliamentarian actually be called upon to speak to the assembly; and the practice should be avoided if at all possible."

Direct the parliamentary inquiry through the chair, who can consult with the parliamentarian as needed.  It's not never, but rarely would the parliamentarian directly give the answer instead of the chair answering.

On 11/14/2022 at 8:32 PM, Tomm said:

How about 47:50, "During a meeting the work of the parliamentarian should be limited to giving advise to the chair and, when requested, to any other member."

I assume this would be a request directly from a member to the parliamentarian?

No. The words "when requested" in this context refers to a request from the chair.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 11/14/2022 at 8:42 PM, Josh Martin said:

No. The words "when requested" in this context refers to a request from the chair.

I disagree.  At best, the quoted provision in RONR is ambiguous.  I interpret it to mean that the parliamentarian MAY respond to a request for information from a member but that the request should be made through the chair, just as with other requests for information.  I certainly do not read the provision as being a rule absolutely prohibiting the parliamentarian from responding to a request from a member.  If anything, it is more of a "normally should not" rule, not an ironclad "He cannot" rule.  In fact, as Ms. Percell pointed out, 47:52 specifically permits the parliamentarian to address the assembly, although it should be only "on the most involved matters".  So, the parliamentarian clearly may address the assembly in response to a question from a member directed through the chair.

On 11/14/2022 at 10:55 PM, Richard Brown said:

the parliamentarian clearly may address the assembly in response to a question from a member directed through the chair

But only if directed to do so by the chair. The parliamentarian cannot decide alone to answer the question directly. 

Note @Tomm that this applies during the meeting, and not during recesses or adjournments.

On 11/14/2022 at 9:55 PM, Richard Brown said:

I disagree.  At best, the quoted provision in RONR is ambiguous.  I interpret it to mean that the parliamentarian MAY respond to a request for information from a member but that the request should be made through the chair, just as with other requests for information.  I certainly do not read the provision as being a rule absolutely prohibiting the parliamentarian from responding to a request from a member.  If anything, it is more of a "normally should not" rule, not an ironclad "He cannot" rule.  In fact, as Ms. Percell pointed out, 47:52 specifically permits the parliamentarian to address the assembly, although it should be only "on the most involved matters".  So, the parliamentarian clearly may address the assembly in response to a question from a member directed through the chair.

Mr. Brown, the rule in question states "During a meeting the work of the parliamentarian should be limited to giving advise to the chair and, when requested, to any other member."

While the question may well be initiated by a member of the assembly, my understanding is that the question is responded to by the chair, not the parliamentarian, unless the chair requests that the parliamentarian respond to the question. As a consequence, it seems to me it is ultimately correct that the parliamentarian, during a meeting, does not directly respond to a member's question unless requested to do so by the chair.

As I understand the facts, Tomm is looking for some mechanism for the parliamentarian (not the chair) to bypass the chair and to have the parliamentarian answer the question directly, notwithstanding the chair's wishes. During a meeting, there is no mechanism for this.

I agree with Dr. Kapur that outside of a meeting (whether during a recess or otherwise), there is much greater flexibility on this matter.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.