The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appointing a past president to the new board

Guest Patrick Gabris

Unless your governing documents have a provision for it, a past president has no rights beyond that of any other member. 

There is nothing in RONR that provides for a past president to be appointed to anything.

Generally, if a person is appointed to a body, they are considered full members with all rights of membership on that body.

On 11/26/2022 at 3:52 PM, Guest Patrick Gabris said:

In our bylaws no mention of appointing a past president. I understand that person can be appointed for a 2 year term,. Do they have a vote at meetings, and should our bylaws be changed to permit this appointment

You understand from where?  There is no such rule in RONR.

A person who is no longer president has no special status unless your bylaws say so.  They have a vote like any other member, presuming they are a member.

I suspect most knowledgeable parliamentarians would avise against such a change to your bylaws, but I have not asked them all.

Guest Patrick, agreeing with my colleagues, you can have a provision in your bylaws permitting the appointment or automatic membership of a past president to serve on the board with whatever rights and privileges you want him to have. For example, he can be a voting or a non-voting member. However, as one or two colleagues have pointed out, this is not always a good idea and most of us recommend against the practice.

A past president can always be consulted for his advice and can always be invited to attend and participate in a board meeting on occasion when his input is desired.

On 11/27/2022 at 1:39 PM, Richard Brown said:

A past president can always be consulted for his advice and can always be invited to attend and participate in a board meeting on occasion when his input is desired.

And could be appointed to a position the same as any other member could be. The important thing, in the opinion of must of he regulars here, is that it not be automatic. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.