The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a Board member propose an amendment

Jay M

On 12/30/2022 at 9:37 AM, Jay M said:

The reference is to constitute special committees. 

You say in your original post "We have almost 25 committees. Before the new year starts our new president will appoint committee chairs for  various committees. Some of the trustees do not like the nominees proposed by the president for 3 or4 committees."

To clarify, are you saying that the "3 or 4 committees" at issue are special committees? If so, are they existing special committees or new special committees?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/30/2022 at 12:35 PM, Josh Martin said:

You say in your original post "We have almost 25 committees. Before the new year starts our new president will appoint committee chairs for  various committees. Some of the trustees do not like the nominees proposed by the president for 3 or4 committees."

To clarify, are you saying that the "3 or 4 committees" at issue are special committees? If so, are they existing special committees or new special committees?

No, they are not special committees. They ae standard committees. Also based  on the rule ,  I copied  here one more time

"The President-elect with the approval of the incoming Board shall appoint the various Committee Chairpersons before
December 31 of the year, following the election. For the calendar year staring January 1st, the Committee Chairpersons
with the exception of the Trust Fund Committee chair shall recommend members to their committees before the end
of January for the Board of Trustees approval"

For any any reason if the board could not approve the chair who will be in charge of the committee ?

On 12/30/2022 at 3:46 PM, Jay M said:

No, they are not special committees. They ae standard committees. 

Okay, so they're standing committees. I must have misunderstood your most recent post.

On 12/30/2022 at 3:46 PM, Jay M said:

For any any reason if the board could not approve the chair who will be in charge of the committee ?

I assume what you mean to ask is who will preside over meetings of the committee. The committee's members are ultimately "in charge."

In the event the chair is absent or the position of chair is vacant, the committee would elect a "Chair Pro Tempore." This would need to be done at each meeting, unless previous notice is given, in which event a "Chair Pro Tempore" could be elected for a longer period.

That situation will continue until the President and the board can find a chair both parties can agree upon.

On 12/30/2022 at 3:55 PM, Josh Martin said:

Okay, so they're standing committees. I must have misunderstood your most recent post.

I assume what you mean to ask is who will preside over meetings of the committee. The committee's members are ultimately "in charge."

In the event the chair is absent or the position of chair is vacant, the committee would elect a "Chair Pro Tempore." This would need to be done at each meeting, unless previous notice is given, in which event a "Chair Pro Tempore" could be elected for a longer period.

That situation will continue until the President and the board can find a chair both parties can agree upon.

Sorry I did not ask the question clearly. All our committee members and chairs are elected for only one year. Their term will expire on December 31. If  the board and president could not reach for an agreement to elect a new char and there were no members appointed yet who will be in charged of the function of the committee 

Thanks

On 12/30/2022 at 5:08 PM, Jay M said:

If  the board and president could not reach for an agreement to elect a new char and there were no members appointed yet who will be in charged of the function of the committee

Presumably the board that appoints the committee is finally responsible, because they are even after the committee is populated. 

Edited by Atul Kapur

On 12/30/2022 at 4:08 PM, Jay M said:

Sorry I did not ask the question clearly. All our committee members and chairs are elected for only one year. Their term will expire on December 31. If  the board and president could not reach for an agreement to elect a new char and there were no members appointed yet who will be in charged of the function of the committee 

Ah. If the committee not only has no chair, but also has no members, that is much more serious.

Since these are committees of the board, I would suggest the general answer to this question is "the board itself." But if the bylaws prescribe particular duties for a committee, that may complicate matters, depending on exactly what the bylaws say.

In any event, it would seem advisable for the President and the board to work together to find a resolution as soon as possible.

In the long run, it may be advisable to revisit whether it is a good idea to provide a fixed term for committee members. It may be preferable to provide that committee members shall serve for one year "or until their successors are elected," so that committee members may continue serving in the event new committee members are not appointed in a timely manner.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.