The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election Procedures

Guest Shazamko

During election proceedings for an organization, does Robert’s Rules have a clause which specifies a procedure similar to the following: when the President announces a nominated member and the position they have been nominated for, said nominee is excused from the floor while membership holds a timed discussion, prior to a paper-balloted vote? 

Thank you for any and all help with this! 

On 1/2/2023 at 4:35 PM, Guest Shazamko said:

During election proceedings for an organization, does Robert’s Rules have a clause which specifies a procedure similar to the following: when the President announces a nominated member and the position they have been nominated for, said nominee is excused from the floor while membership holds a timed discussion, prior to a paper-balloted vote? 

I concur with my colleagues, and I would add that if the nominee is a member of the assembly that is meeting, the member has a right to be present and cannot be excluded from the meeting except through disciplinary procedures or a provision in the bylaws.

On 1/2/2023 at 5:35 PM, Guest Shazamko said:

Thank you for any and all help with this! 

No.

Nominations are debatable, so the discussion is fine, but members cannot be excluded from a meeting, except in accordance with disciplinary processes.

On 1/4/2023 at 10:05 AM, Guest Jon said:

guest Jon Wyckoff.....when annually voting for Chair  and Vice chair do alternates have a vote,even when all members Are present?

For future reference, I would suggest posting a new question is a new topic, even if it is related to an existing question.

As to your question, RONR does not discuss "alternates" except in the context of a convention. To the extent this may be relevant, those rules are discussed in RONR (12th ed.) 58:12-17. 

As a result, in the event alternates are provided for in other contexts, the answer to this question will ultimately be found in your organization's own rules. With that said, the purpose of an "alternate" is generally to fill in for members who are absent.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.