The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections

Selectman

My organization will be having their election of officers in a few days. There are 2 candidates for Chair (one is incumbent). What happens if there is a tie ?  What is the procedure to follow in case this happens?  Our by-laws do not cover this issue so I am depending on Roberts Rules for advice. Thank you for your help in this matter. 

Selectman

On 1/27/2023 at 9:19 AM, Selectman said:

My organization will be having their election of officers in a few days. There are 2 candidates for Chair (one is incumbent). What happens if there is a tie ?  What is the procedure to follow in case this happens?  Our by-laws do not cover this issue so I am depending on Roberts Rules for advice. Thank you for your help in this matter. 

Selectman

If there is a tie, there is no winner and you vote again. And again and again, if necessary, until a candidate receives a majority of the votes cast (or one of the candidates voluntarily withdraws). 

Edited by Richard Brown
Added the last part of the answer which is in parentheses

Ideally at the same meeting.

RONR (12th ed.) 46:44

An election should be completed at the session at which it is taken up, unless it is impossible or impractical to do so.

and 46:45

If, for any reason, the assembly does not complete an election at the time for which it was scheduled, it should do so as soon as possible and may do so at any time until the expiration of the term the election is to fill.

BTW, 46:32 is the citation for the answer about what to do if there is a tie, or any other situation where no candidate receives a majority (remembering that a majority is more than half and a tie, being exactly half, is not a majority)

if any office remains unfilled after the first ballot, the balloting is repeated for that office as many times as necessary to obtain a majority vote for a single candidate.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.