The Official RONR Q & A Forums

A defeated motion

Arlette

What happens to the democratic process when a motion is passed in favor of a No vote (all done correctly of course) but the person who put the motion forwarded is not happy with the results, and the President is now agreeing to give her/him their way anyways, and not validating the passed motion results? Does the President/Chairman have a right to do this? Thank you

I’m not sure what you mean when you say a motion was “passed in favor of a no vote“. However, if the motion was adopted, the president has a duty to acknowledge it and enforce it. I agree with Atul Kapur if that is what is happening.

i’m also not sure what you mean when you say the president is refusing to “validate” the results, but I assume that means he’s refusing to acknowledge the results.  The results are essentially validated when the fact that the motion was adopted appears in the minutes. I hope the secretary is not being pressured to omit it or make a false entry.

On 3/20/2023 at 10:54 PM, Arlette said:

What happens to the democratic process when a motion is passed in favor of a No vote (all done correctly of course) but the person who put the motion forwarded is not happy with the results, and the President is now agreeing to give her/him their way anyways, and not validating the passed motion results?

Nothing good, probably.

On 3/20/2023 at 10:54 PM, Arlette said:

Does the President/Chairman have a right to do this?

No.

I would note, however, that I agree with Mr. Brown that I have no idea what "when a motion is passed in favor of a No vote" is supposed to mean. The statement seems somewhat oxymoronic.

On 3/21/2023 at 12:33 AM, Richard Brown said:

The results are essentially validated when the fact that the motion was adopted appears in the minutes.

It seems the OP may be trying to say (in a very confusing way) that the motion was defeated. The title of the thread is "A defeated motion."

Edited by Josh Martin

If a motion in favor of a No vote is defeated, it's becomes difficult to confirm that it was "all done correctly, of course." 

But what is certain is that the President/Chairman (Is that truly the title?) does not have the power to ignore the will of the membership if, in fact, all was done correctly, and presuming the rules in RONR apply (see disclaimer 👇.)  Okay, maybe not so certain.

On 3/21/2023 at 6:28 AM, Josh Martin said:

It seems the OP may be trying to say (in a very confusing way) that the motion was defeated. The title of the thread is "A defeated motion."

I guess that is possible, too. It would help us a lot if @Arlette would clarify for us exactly what happened.  Did the motion pass or not pass?  What exactly is the president doing or refusing to do?

@Ariana, please clarify what happened.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.