The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elected positions

Guest Pat Fallis

RONR doesn't have anything to say about past presidents.  If your bylaws make the immediate past president a board member then he's a board member.  I presume that to be president one would have to be elected, but nobody gets elected to past president as such.  

What difference are you suggesting exists between a board member and an elected board member?  It sounds like there's more to this story.

Agreeing with Mr. Novosielski, it all depends on whether your bylaws make him or her an officer. 

He might be an unelected officer (or board member) who serves ex officio — by virtue of being immediate past president. 

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Our bylaws state “no elected officials shall hold more than one office”

I was voted in as president at our last AGM our now pass president was elected to be vice president, so she is holding past president and vice president rolls at this time. Is this in opposition to our bylaws?

Please share the part of your bylaws that define or list the officers. Please give the exact quotation

The quote you provided does not say "elected office," it says no elected official shall hold more than one office. Here the elected official is the VP. So it does not seem to matter if the past president is an elected office, just whether it is considered an officer position. It seems the answer is yes, but I need to see the exact lauage about your officer

Edited by Atul Kapur

Thank you I very much appreciate your feedback.

bylaw article 3 heading is officer duties,

and it lists the duties of president, vice president secretary, treasurer, past president and public relations.

our constitution article 8 - heading: officers, lists.
The board of directors shall consist of at least three officers being the president, secretary, and treasurer. Other positions should include the past president, vice president and public relations. These are voting members of the board.

On 3/23/2023 at 7:10 AM, Guest Pat Fallis said:

Our bylaws state “no elected officials shall hold more than one office”

I was voted in as president at our last AGM our now pass president was elected to be vice president, so she is holding past president and vice president rolls at this time. Is this in opposition to our bylaws?

On 3/23/2023 at 7:40 AM, Guest Pat Fallis said:

bylaw article 3 heading is officer duties,

and it lists the duties of president, vice president secretary, treasurer, past president and public relations.

our constitution article 8 - heading: officers, lists.
The board of directors shall consist of at least three officers being the president, secretary, and treasurer. Other positions should include the past president, vice president and public relations. These are voting members of the board.

What are you getting at here? Are you trying to argue the Past President is ineligible to be elected to any other office?

I suppose that's one possible interpretation, but it seems like a bit of a stretch to me, and I am doubtful that was really the intent of the society. I am inclined to think the Past President is eligible to hold the office of Vice President. Obviously, this person only has one vote on the board. The Past President often doesn't really have "duties," so I am doubtful that sharing these offices will cause any particular problems. Ultimately, however, it is up to the society to interpret its own bylaws.

In the long run, just amend the bylaws to get rid of the Past President position. Solves this problem and countless others.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.