The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Terminology

Mike Phillips

On 4/5/2023 at 7:28 PM, Mike Phillips said:

"Q and A 72 in PL (p. 436)"

What is PL?

PL stands for "Parliamentary Law," a book written by General Henry Martyn Robert, the original author of Robert's Rules of Order, published in 1923. The book includes General Robert's reflections on parliamentary law, as well as a Question and Answer section consisting of General Robert's answers to various questions he received over the years regarding Robert's Rules of Order. Much of information in PL has now been incorporated into (or superseded) by later editions of Robert's Rules of Order, but the text also is a useful resource for some difficult questions. It is a resource that professional parliamentarians often have in their collection. I have a copy myself.

On 4/5/2023 at 7:58 PM, Mike Phillips said:

Thanks. My present goal is to become registered, but at my current pace, I may not live long enough! I may try to find a copy of it. 

You can order it through the National Association of Parliamentarians (NAP) bookstore. You can also probably find it on eBay, and, I believe, on Amazon. It is a very valuable resource. The last time I checked, I believe NAP was selling it for around $50. As I recall, some of the prices that I have seen on eBay seemed a bit high, much higher than the price NAP charges for a new copy. 

On 4/9/2023 at 11:51 AM, Richard Brown said:

You can order it through the National Association of Parliamentarians (NAP) bookstore. You can also probably find it on eBay, and, I believe, on Amazon. It is a very valuable resource. The last time I checked, I believe NAP was selling it for around $50. As I recall, some of the prices that I have seen on eBay seemed a bit high, much higher than the price NAP charges for a new copy. 

I must have lucked out.  I got my copy of PL from, I think, ebay or perhaps "other sellers" on Amazon, and it was quite affordable.  Clearly used but in excellent condition.  I'd be more specific but this was some time ago.

On 4/7/2023 at 6:50 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

I have a copy of PL, but if I'm away from my bookshelf, I go to this link.

Thank you!

On 4/9/2023 at 11:51 AM, Richard Brown said:

I've checked eBay and Amazon with no luck. It could pop up at any time. It's not listed on the NAP website. I'll ask them about ordering. Thanks. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.