The Official RONR Q & A Forums

An appeal can not come from known facts, evident truths, established rules or laws?

Baofeng Ma

On 6/5/2023 at 8:23 PM, Joshua Katz said:

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're asking.

For example, 

A: I move to suspend the rules and elect eight delegates. (seconded)

Chair: The motion is out of order because it violates the bylaws.

A: I appeal from the decision of the chair. (seconded)

Chair: The appeal is out of order. The bylaws can not be suspended. 

On 6/5/2023 at 8:41 PM, Joshua Katz said:

Assuming there is a rule in the bylaws, not in the nature of a rule of order, preventing you from electing eight delegates (that does not provide for its own suspension), then I agree there cannot be two reasonable views on the matter and the appeal is dilatory. But that's a lot of ifs before the matter is obvious!

Let's assume the appeal is an established rules (not dilatory). Does the appeal can come to the floor? 

The rule in RONR (12th ed.) 24:3 states, "when the chair rules on a question about which there cannot possibly be two reasonable opinions, an appeal would be dilatory and is not allowed."

A member may appeal from the decision of the chair even if the decision is based on a rule, if the member disagrees with how the rule should be interpreted and applied to the particular situation. 

On 6/5/2023 at 9:48 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

The rule in RONR (12th ed.) 24:3 states, "when the chair rules on a question about which there cannot possibly be two reasonable opinions, an appeal would be dilatory and is not allowed."

A member may appeal from the decision of the chair even if the decision is based on a rule, if the member disagrees with how the rule should be interpreted and applied to the particular situation. 

Thank you for the elaboration. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.