The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is it possible to create an org chart of our executive committee?

user

Our executive committee consists of the president, several VPs, secretary, treasurer, sergeant at arms, and former president. The organization's constitution gives each of the VPs a rank (second ranking officer, third, fourth) and none of the other roles listed specify a rank.

Is it possible to create an org chart of the executive committee or is it not appropriate in this scenario?

The reason I'm having trouble with this is because it doesn't say anywhere in the rules that anyone specifically reports to the president. Also, the president isn't really granted much special authority. The other positions are elected by the general membership, not appointed. The president can't simply choose to fire another member of the executive committee. The president's vote weighs the same as any other member of the executive committee. For this reason, I'm not sure an org chart with the president on top is appropriate.

On 6/27/2023 at 2:17 AM, user said:

Our executive committee consists of the president, several VPs, secretary, treasurer, sergeant at arms, and former president. The organization's constitution gives each of the VPs a rank (second ranking officer, third, fourth) and none of the other roles listed specify a rank.

Is it possible to create an org chart of the executive committee or is it not appropriate in this scenario?

Well, I guess you could create an org chart, but an accurate chart would just show the Executive Committee itself on top and all of the individual officers reporting to the Executive Committee, which doesn't really seem like a necessary or helpful chart. The President has no authority to direct the other officers unless the bylaws so provide.

I would note that even in regards to the "rank" of the VPs, this is in regards to the order in which the VPs take over as presiding officer in the event of absences (or take over as President or a higher-ranking VP in the event of a vacancy). It doesn't mean anything beyond that unless your rules so provide.

On 6/27/2023 at 2:17 AM, user said:

The reason I'm having trouble with this is because it doesn't say anywhere in the rules that anyone specifically reports to the president. Also, the president isn't really granted much special authority. The other positions are elected by the general membership, not appointed. The president can't simply choose to fire another member of the executive committee. The president's vote weighs the same as any other member of the executive committee. For this reason, I'm not sure an org chart with the president on top is appropriate.

I agree.

By all means make an organisation chart of the organisation.

But ust don't limit it to the executive comitee.

Srart at the top with the AGM or general membership meetings.

Below there the board of directors and committees (if any) of the AGM.

A level below that

- Excecutive comitee

- Committees of the board

- Subcommittees of committees of the agm

Level below that

Committees of the executive Committee.

Subcommittees of committees of the board

And so on

Give special markings to  committees mentioned in the bylaws, other standing committees and so on.

It is better to make a complete overview than just from.a small part

GOOD LUCK 

On 6/27/2023 at 9:30 AM, puzzling said:

By all means make an organisation chart of the organisation.

But ust don't limit it to the executive comitee.

Srart at the top with the AGM or general membership meetings.

Below there the board of directors and committees (if any) of the AGM.

A level below that

- Excecutive comitee

- Committees of the board

- Subcommittees of committees of the agm

Level below that

Committees of the executive Committee.

Subcommittees of committees of the board

And so on

Give special markings to  committees mentioned in the bylaws, other standing committees and so on.

It is better to make a complete overview than just from.a small part

GOOD LUCK 

Given that the chart would present no additional information beyond what you've just suggested, why bother?  Org charts typically contain the names or at least the titles of individuals.  But in RONR the organizational relationships are between bodies, with the membership at the top, the board beneath that (potentially including an EC as a subset), and committees reporting to either of those bodies.   

Unless the society has a lot of time on its hands, I don't see the value of a chart.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.