The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Clapping during debate

swagaman

RONR does not have any specific rules about clapping or cheering, etc. except to state that members may not disturb the assembly (43:28).  

If it is becoming a problem, I'd recommend the society adopt a standing rule on the subject because this can make it easier for the presiding officer to apply the rule fairly.  I think it would be a standing rule because it is a question of privilege.

One idea I have seen implemented is to allow members to wave their hands when they agree, so that people can see the agreement without the sound disrupting the speaker.

Other times, groups have to be more strict and forbid all forms of demonstration to prevent meetings from escalating.  

On 7/19/2023 at 12:05 PM, swagaman said:

Are there any guidelines in RONR regarding members clapping, cheering, etc. during debate?

There is nothing specific on this matter, but RONR does provide the following.

"During debate, during remarks by the presiding officer to the assembly, and during voting, no member should be permitted to disturb the assembly by whispering, walking across the floor, or in any other way. The key words here are disturb the assembly. This rule does not mean, therefore, that members can never whisper, or walk from one place to another in the hall during the deliberations of the assembly. At large meetings it would be impossible to enforce such a rule. However, the presiding officer should watch that such activity does not disturb the meeting or hamper the transaction of business." RONR (12th ed.) 43:28

Whether clapping, cheering, etc. is viewed as "disturbing the assembly" will, I imagine, vary from assembly to assembly.

On 7/19/2023 at 12:05 PM, swagaman said:

Specifically, are members allowed to cheer and clap when a speaker makes a point they agree with during a debate on a motion?

RONR does not prohibit it. The assembly is free to adopt its own rules on this matter if it wishes.

On 7/19/2023 at 5:06 PM, Gregory Carlson said:

One idea I have seen implemented is to allow members to wave their hands when they agree, so that people can see the agreement without the sound disrupting the speaker.

I believe that's an adoption of a practice of those who use American Sign Language, to visually express applause.

Whether it would disturb the assembly or not I leave it to the assembly to decide.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

On 7/19/2023 at 10:06 PM, Gregory Carlson said:

If it is becoming a problem, I'd recommend the society adopt a standing rule on the subject because this can make it easier for the presiding officer to apply the rule fairly.  I think it would be a standing rule because it is a question of privilege.

Not sure about this, if it is a question of privilege it should be in the bylaws or rules of order.

Standing rules are a to low authority for this

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.