The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vote Not Held

Kathy S.

At last month's board meeting, a motion and second was made to adopt the agenda as presented. As recording secretary I automatically call the roll call vote after a motion and second if the President does not call for it. I was absent and the vote wasn't done.

Do we hold the vote at this month's meeting? If so, is it just with those who attended last months meeting and how do I record the vote in the minutes?

On 8/15/2023 at 11:22 AM, Kathy S. said:

At last month's board meeting, a motion and second was made to adopt the agenda as presented. As recording secretary I automatically call the roll call vote after a motion and second if the President does not call for it. I was absent and the vote wasn't done.

Well, I have some questions on all this, but I don't think I need to get into them to answer the question.

On 8/15/2023 at 11:22 AM, Kathy S. said:

Do we hold the vote at this month's meeting? If so, is it just with those who attended last months meeting and how do I record the vote in the minutes?

The motion was, as I understand it, to adopt an agenda for last month's meeting. Either in practice they behaved as if they had adopted it, or they did not. Either way, you can't vote on that now, so no, don't vote on that question at this month's meeting. 

And apart from this particular question, for future reference, there is no circumstance under which only members present at a prior meeting have the right to vote.  Voting is done by those who are members at the time of the vote.

This is even true when considering approval of minutes.  Current members have every right to participate in the approval process if they were not present--or not even members--at the time of that prior meeting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.