The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Co-Chair Vote

Tomm

An Ad Hoc of more than one dozen has 3 Co-chairs. I know RONR does not approve of Co-Chairs but my question is:

Question 1: Should all 3 Co-Chairs refrain from voting unless it's necessary to change the outcome of the vote?

Question 2: If one is considered to be the Chair, then can or should the remaining 2 Co-Chairs vote?

An ad hoc what? RONR uses the term to describe special committees, and in committees the relaxed small board rules apply (RONR 49:21) with no apparent limitation based on the size of the committee (RONR 50:25). Under these rules the chair (and I suppose by analogy the co-chair(s) as well) can vote along with all the other committee members.

Generally, it is the person presiding over the meeting at the time who refrains from voting in order to preserve the impression of impartiality. So it is connected to the duty of presiding, rather than the title.

You mention the size of the committee. However, this rule against the chair voting does not apply to committees at all, no matter the number of members present. The small board rules in 49:21 "are applicable during the meetings of all standing and special committees, unless the committee is otherwise instructed by the society" 50:25 (emphasis added)

On 9/2/2023 at 9:40 PM, Tomm said:

An Ad Hoc of more than one dozen has 3 Co-chairs.

"Ad hoc" is an adjective, not a noun. I understand this to mean an "ad hoc committee," because I can't think of anything else that makes sense, but if this is mistaken, please clarify.

Question 1: Should all 3 Co-Chairs refrain from voting unless it's necessary to change the outcome of the vote?

To the extent that the rules pertaining to the chair's participation are applicable at all, they would apply only to the person serving as presiding officer. That person is the real "chair" in the sense the term is used in RONR.

As my colleagues have noted, however, it's not clear that the rules pertaining to the chair's participation are applicable here. The "small board rules" in RONR (12th ed.) 49:21 apply to boards with not more than about a dozen members, but they apply to committees of any size, unless otherwise instructed by the parent assembly.

"The informalities and modifications of the regular rules of parliamentary procedure listed in 49:21 for use in small boards are applicable during the meetings of all standing and special committees, unless the committee is otherwise instructed by the society (see next paragraph below); also, the rules governing the motions to Rescind, to Amend Something Previously Adopted, and to Reconsider are modified as stated in 35:2(7) and 37:35. In committees, the chairman is usually the most active participant in the discussions and work of the committee. In order that there may be no interference with the assembly's having the benefit of its committees' matured judgment, motions to close or limit debate (15, 16) are not allowed in committees.

Committees of organized societies operate under the bylaws, the parliamentary authority, and any special rules of order or standing rules of the society which may be applicable to them. A committee may not adopt its own rules except as authorized in the rules of the society or in instructions given to the committee by its parent assembly in a particular case. If a standing or special committee is so large that it can function best in the manner of a full-scale assembly, it should be instructed that the informalities and modifications of the regular rules of parliamentary procedure listed for small boards in 49:21 are not to apply to its proceedings. The parent assembly may adopt such instructions to the committee by majority vote." RONR (12th ed.) 50:25-26

Question 2: If one is considered to be the Chair, then can or should the remaining 2 Co-Chairs vote?

It would seem to me that, at a minimum, the remaining two co-chairs may vote if they wish, the same as any other member. It may well be that all three co-chairs should feel free to vote, as noted above.

On 9/3/2023 at 6:26 AM, Josh Martin said:

I understand this to mean an "ad hoc committee,

Yes. My bad, "Ad Hoc committee". Just got a little ahead of myself.

So according to 50:26, the assembly that established the committee would have had to instruct the committee to function under the rules of a full-assembly or else they function under Procedures for Small Boards. Got it!

Thanks for your response.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.