The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President wants to pre-approve minutes

dawn

The president wants the secretary to send her the minutes in advance so she can approve them before they get sent to the rest of the board. I think the secretary was elected to do their job and we should just let them. If any board member disputes or sees an error in the minutes, they can speak up when it is time to approve them.  Is the president correct?

You tell us that the president wants to receive the minutes in advance of any other board member.

We reply that RONR does not give the president the authority to demand or require this. She can ask but the secretary has no obligation to agree to this request.

Regarding the purpose of the request: RONR does not give the president the authority to approve—or even review—the minutes before any other member of the board.

On 9/12/2023 at 12:25 PM, dawn said:

The president wants the secretary to send her the minutes in advance so she can approve them before they get sent to the rest of the board. I think the secretary was elected to do their job and we should just let them. If any board member disputes or sees an error in the minutes, they can speak up when it is time to approve them.  Is the president correct?

I would suggest that, since you say the minutes are sent to the rest of the board, I am inclined to think the President (or any member of the board) could send any proposed corrections to the Secretary at that time. I would imagine the Secretary would be happy to correct any minor errors or typos that are pointed out, and this could save time at the meeting. In the unusual event there is actually a dispute over the minutes, or if an error is not caught until later, certainly it can be brought up at the meeting.

I concur entirely with my colleagues, however, that the President has no authority to direct the Secretary to send her the minutes even more in advance than the rest of the board.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.