The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electhttps://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/42580-election-of-officers/ion of Officers

Karen Luke

Section 3 - 1st Vice President

The 1s Vice President shall assume all duties of the President in the absence of the President as provided in Article

IV, Section 4 (c) of the Constitution; shall serve as the Grievance Chairperson and any other duties as the President designates. In the event that the Is Vice President cannot assume the duties of the Grievance Chairperson, another member will be appointed, by the President, to said position. The stipend for the I*Vice President will be split as follows: ½ to 1$ Vice President and ½ to Grievance Chairperson. The Budget Committee will determine the stipend amounts for all positions. In the absence of the President and Treasurer, the Is Vice President shall be the second signer on all checks drawn upon the regular checking account. Adopted 2/13/08

Section 4 - 2nd Vice President

In the absence of the Is Vice President, the 2nd Vice President presides and performs the duties of the Is Vice President during his/her absence or when circumstances make it necessary to assume the duties of the Is Vice President. The 2nd Vice President shall serve as the Membership Chairperson and perform any other duties as the President designates. In the event that the 2nd Vice President cannot assume the duties of the Membership Chairperson, another member will be appointed by the President to the said position. The stipend for 2nd Vice President will be split as follows: ½ to 2nd Vice President and ½ to Membership Chairperson. The Budget Committee will determine the stipend amount for all positions. Adopted 2/13/08

Question:

section 4

Where it states,” in the event the 2nd Vice President cannot assume the duties of the Membership Chairperson, another member will be appointed by the president to the said position”

I interpret that to mean, the president can appoint a Membership Chair( since by laws clearly states he can appoint committee chairs) , not appoint the 2nd vp position. Am I correct in my assessment?

On 10/13/2023 at 8:59 AM, Karen Luke said:

Where it states,” in the event the 2nd Vice President cannot assume the duties of the Membership Chairperson, another member will be appointed by the president to the said position”

I interpret that to mean, the president can appoint a Membership Chair( since by laws clearly states he can appoint committee chairs) , not appoint the 2nd vp position. Am I correct in my assessment?

I concur that, in context, it seems clear this provision refers to the President appointing a person as Membership Chair, not appointing a person as Second Vice President.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 10/13/2023 at 8:33 AM, Gary Novosielski said:

t is important to get rid of the no-write-ins rule.  And nominations should be permitted right up to the last minute at the election meeting, as RONR would have it.  In a crisis situation where the nomination process has failed, you could use blank slips of paper and simply have people write down a name.  The nomination process in RONR is intentionally simple, flexible, and forgiving. For example, it takes a two-thirds vote to close nominations, and only a majority to (re)open  them.

What is the best way to handle this situation: 1) amendment to all write in's, 2) amendment to allow nominations up to the last minute prior to the election or 3) notify both parties that per RONR it is not possible to decline a nomination, put both on the ballot and proceed to the election.  We have never had this situation come up before and I want to make sure that it's handled correctly per our bylaws and RONR.

On 10/16/2023 at 6:20 PM, Guest Guest Terry said:

What is the best way to handle this situation: 1) amendment to all write in's, 2) amendment to allow nominations up to the last minute prior to the election or 3) notify both parties that per RONR it is not possible to decline a nomination, put both on the ballot and proceed to the election.  We have never had this situation come up before and I want to make sure that it's handled correctly per our bylaws and RONR.

That looks like two questions:

• What do we do right away for this election?
  • How do we amend the bylaws to avoid future problems?

The first question I can't really answer.  I have not read your entire bylaws, and I doubt I could find a loophole if I did, since the authors seemed intent on tightly restricting normal procedures, for some reason.

The second question is easier to answer.  Get a copy of RONR 12th., read up on nominations and elections, including the language in the sample bylaws.  Then, instead of amending your bylaws to allow write-ins and late nominations, just delete all the language that currently makes that impossible, and make sure your bylaws adopt RONR as your parliamentary authority.  Less is more.  Only include in your bylaws, exceptions to RONR's rules that you can truly justify as necessary in your case, and leave the rest to the parliamentary authority. 

Edited by Gary Novosielski

• Dan Honemann changed the title to Electhttps://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/42580-election-of-officers/ion of Officers
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.