The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can General body remove a member

Jay M

Our constitution has the following clasue:

Disqualification of Membership Rights: Demonstrated activities against the purposes of the corporation as defined in Article I shall constitute grounds for disqualification from membership. This will be determined by a vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the total membership of the Board of Trustees. Any member so disqualified shall be eligible for reinstatement subject to the approval of a majority of the total membership of the Board of Trustees.

My fello trustee beleives not only  the board of trustees but  Generla body can also disqualify a member. I wonder is he correct? Thanks

On 10/15/2023 at 11:00 PM, Jay M said:

Our constitution has the following clasue:

Disqualification of Membership Rights: Demonstrated activities against the purposes of the corporation as defined in Article I shall constitute grounds for disqualification from membership. This will be determined by a vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the total membership of the Board of Trustees. Any member so disqualified shall be eligible for reinstatement subject to the approval of a majority of the total membership of the Board of Trustees.

My fello trustee beleives not only  the board of trustees but  Generla body can also disqualify a member. I wonder is he correct? Thanks

Assuming this section is all the constitution says on this matter, the trustee appears to be incorrect. The rule quite clearly states that "This will be determined by a vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the total membership of the Board of Trustees." (emphasis added)

Edited by Josh Martin

Mr. Martin, I take the trustee to be saying the power is not exclusive, not that the clause refers to the membership. I think it's clear that, without this clause, the membership would have this power. So the question is whether the delegation to the board is exclusive. I tend to think it is, but I don't think it's obvious.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.