The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Leaving for a vote

Guest jkuzdzal

So if I make a request from a group for funding, do I need to leave during the voting process?

I am a coach for a student group that is given ex officio status by the charter bylaws.  When I make a request for funding, it does not benefit me personally, but is for something to help the students.  For example, asking for supplemental playbooks so that students learn the drills better.  While this does help my job, it greatly helps the students. 

I have been asked by the booster group that to leave during this vote since parents do not feel like they could vote their conscience while I am in the room.   They say that it is in roberts rules that anyone who is requesting an item needs to leave for the vote.

On 12/4/2023 at 6:56 PM, Guest jkuzdzal said:

So if I make a request from a group for funding, do I need to leave during the voting process?

No rule in RONR would require it.

I have been asked by the booster group that to leave during this vote since parents do not feel like they could vote their conscience while I am in the room.   They say that it is in roberts rules that anyone who is requesting an item needs to leave for the vote.

It is not. Ask them for a page number; they won't be able to give one.

I am a coach for a student group that is given ex officio status by the charter bylaws.  When I make a request for funding, it does not benefit me personally, but is for something to help the students.  For example, asking for supplemental playbooks so that students learn the drills better.  While this does help my job, it greatly helps the students. 

Well, there is certainly no rule in RONR that says such a thing.

But I suppose neither is there a rule prohibiting them from asking.  And if you're not an actual member of the group, they would be within their rights to demand it.  You'll have to judge for yourself how coöperative you want to be with a group from whom you are seeking funding.

On 12/4/2023 at 7:12 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

And if you're not an actual member of the group, they would be within their rights to demand it. 

I am a coach for a student group that is given ex officio status by the charter bylaws.

I took ex officio status to mean ex officio membership.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.